Friday, January 1, 2010

Workin' the Rim



I love this part of the build. I rasp off the extra thickness of the wood and start shaping the rim to it's final form. I fall deep into a la la land zen like state. Even though I get lost in the motion of this task I still have to be very aware of what I'm doing. I take the rim down to 5mm with the rasp and then with various sanding techniques I finish it to the final goal of 4.5mm. I have a digital capliper mounted in a simple jig (top pic) that helps me achieve extremely tight tolerances.

With every motion of the rasp Maple wood falls to the shop floor and it's a beautiful thing. Weight is dropping off the rim and I am coming closer to achieving my goal. According to my notes Vicky's rim is 8 ozs lighter than Mary Lou W's. I'm amazed by that! Right now the rim tips the scales at 2 lbs. I still need to laminate a second layer of Carbon Fiber twill in, which will bump the weight up a bit. I'm still on target to get the guitar's final strung up weight to 5 lbs 9 ozs

No comments:

Post a Comment