Monday, January 4, 2010

Back Carving the Top



I started to remove material from the back side of the top plate. I like to do this part in stages over time so that the wood has time to adjust to the ideal humidity of about 42%. This guitar will have lots of time to season properly. I'll let the plate sit over the next week while I go back and forth between the other parts of the guitar.

To do this task I built my own overhead router. There is a pin that the top of the plate rests on while I rout out the back. I rout out 1/8" of wood at a time. This is easy fast work - way better than drilling holes and chiseling the material out or hand hogging it. Tighter tolerances, less elbow grease and more speed are the advantages of this little outfit.

1 comment:

  1. Good Day My Nephew,
    THings are Shaping Up here at Dagmar Guitars.
    I want that recipe for potato salad...though it seems to me thatonly Germans know how to make it that way.
    Now that I know you have a new site, I will visit more often, and let friends know too. See you when I see you. G

    ReplyDelete