Monday, January 18, 2010

Coincedences

A strange series of coincidences has been occurring. I was recommended a book by a friend who is also a new businessman. The book is called "The Answer" and it's a self help/grow your business guide that explores the law of attraction. The belief is that if you visualize what you want and have a positive focus on your passionate desires that your dreams will unfold before you.

The book mentions the movie "The Secret" more than a few times which is a movie that the authors were involved with that helps promote the law of attraction concept. At times it seems that the book is a vehicle to promote the movie. I told my wife about this and she said "The Secret? We have that movie." "We do?" "Yes, and here it is." I didn't realize it but a couple of our friends had brought it over about a year ago and they were really into it. I put the movie in and the beginning is over the top and totally hokey. It bashes you over the head with the positive focus idea in a very over dramatic way. All in all though I would recommend the book and movie because when you start up a passion driven business it is easy to relate to the concept of making your visualization into a reality. Both book and movie are full of great tips and meditations and I liken it to just plain good common sense. Of course you need positive focus and organized structure and goal setting to make it in business. I like reading these types of books every once and a while - I find them thought provoking. Any who...the writers of Chicken Soup for your Soul are in the movie along with other successful business gurus, psychologists and even physicists.

About 8 years ago I was obsessed with finding myself a 1947 Hudson Pickup truck. I found one in Florida on line. I Googled 1947 Hudson Pickup and saw a line from a book about a land lord that used to drive one around to his rental homes in Florida to collect. Turns out that the line was from a book by Frank McKinney called "Make it Big". I read the book and it's about positive focus and turning your passionate visions and dreams into reality. (sound familiar?) He has 49 steps to follow. It's a well writed book and I was impressed and entertained by Frank's biography. He is involved with lots of charity and community work as well as being a self made millionaire in the world of super high end ocean front real estate. His book made him seem trustworthy. He was a guest on Oprah too!

I contacted Frank about the truck and asked specific questions about it's condition. We went back and forth for a long time. He convinced me it was restorable and in fact he would buy it back once it was restored. At first he asked for $2000.00. Then without asking he dropped the price to $1000.00 only to drop it again to $800.00. I thought he was giving me a break because he liked how I presented myself and how I found his truck on line - he was not advertising it for sale. I bought the truck sight unseen, except for some pictures he had sent in the mail. The truck looked rough but together. I hired a transport to pick the Hudson up to the tune of $1500.00. When the truck was delivered it had literally rattled apart and the paint was holding what was left together. It was a mess, just awful. I felt I had been had. I immediately got in touch with Frank and told him how I felt betrayed. He redeemed himself and sent me my $800.00 back. I was still out the $1500.00 but oh well stupid me - a tough lesson.

Yesterday I found "Make it Big" in a bag that my mom had brought over from my old house that my brother still lives in. I randomly opened it and read a bit. It was a part about how Frank got his first job in Florida digging sand traps at a golf course. He worked with extremely hard working Haitians. But Frank worked just as hard as they and earned the nickname the White Haitian. As we all know Haiti has been in the news big time recently.

I jumped on line and News Googled Frank McKinney. Bam! All these recent stories about Frank pop up. A few stories of how he is organizing a Haiti relief team to fly over and help through his charity The Caring House Foundation and a few press releases of three books that he has just published. The three books are in three different genres. One is about real estate, one about religion, and one child fantasy book. Crazy I thought. I was so happy to see that he is still going hard at what he preaches and teaches. When I bought the truck from him and it appeared as if he dooped me I had no respect for the man - I was happy he sent my money back but felt he was still very misleading.

All of Franks books were published by the same house that published "Chicken Soup for the Soul".

To recap:
I was recommended a book
The book mentions a movie
I have had the movie in my house for over a year and did not know it
The Chicken Soup for Your Soul people are in the movie
I get my book "Make it Big" by Frank McKinney back - I'm reminded about our bad business together
I read a blurb about Haitians in "Make it Big"
I Google Frank McKinney
News about Frank being involved with Haitian Relief
News about his three books being released
The books are published by the same publisher as Chicken Soup for your Soul


Should I write a book?

1 comment:

  1. As the fly drive holidays are becoming increasingly popular, everyone wants their own travel arrangements to travel more in a short period of time.
    fly drive florida

    ReplyDelete