Sunday, January 3, 2010

Carving the Top and Falling in Love with FUN


I snuck some time in the old shop today. I released the Sitka set from it's clamps and like a demon processed started carving her up real nice.

I carve my tops completely by eye. I do not check the symmetry with patterns or calipers because I like taking a relaxed "let the wood guide you" kind of an approach. I let my intuitive take over, I trust my instincts and rely on my experience. I pick up the plate and spin it around, constantly studying the curve and visualizing the lines. I tap the wood near my ear and find the node. Sometimes I close my eyes and I touch both sides at the same time to detect the difference in curve from left to right. I'm even aware of the smell of the wood as I work it. The luthier develops a very deep relationship with each and every part of the guitar.

We luthiers really push the romantic ideals and the intimate process of making wood sing. We usually show pictures of little thumb planes with micro thick curls of wood streaming out of them like tiny fountains. Or write in a fashion like I have above trying to "poetesize" the art.

I'm guilt of being a romantic but I like to break free of these kinds of images too in an attempt to expose a different side of custom guitar building. The fun side. The look of my guitars and all the images behind them, like my logo and website, were intentionally to evoke a vintage fun vibe. Guitars are FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment