Thursday, December 10, 2009

Vicky's Tailpeice


Today I roughed out the tailpiece from a beautiful blank of Ebony. I have invented a very slick jig that allows me to slip the Ebony blank into a pocket. On either side of this pocket there are various router guides to rout out the string load area and for the hinge. I hog out a lot of mass from the underside in the effort to save weight. The tailpiece may have a chunky look to it but it's much lighter than it looks. When asking players what they want in a dream guitar almost all mention sustain. A tailpiece that has more mass is believed to have greater sustain. My tailpiece is not the lightest nor the heaviest but the sustain on my guitars is great. I think sustain comes from other areas of the guitar and not so much the tailpiece. By reducing the weight is this area of the guitar I hope to achieve perfect lap balance. I want this guitar to sit level in the players lap. And it will. I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment