Saturday, December 26, 2009

Neck Pocket


I managed to rout in the neck pocket into Vicky's rim. This is the largest neck pocket I have ever been able to achieve. More neck joint means more sustain. I also finalized my jig design for this procedure.

The routing is done with the guitar rim laying flat on the bench. I have a jig that straddles the rim and I rout in with my trim router from above. The jig is angled at a perfect 4.5 degree angle to get the right playing geometry.

The next step is to make the carbon fiber sleeve that will bond into this raw opening. The CF will make this joint stable and strong - extremely reliable. The neck joint is designed to be shimmed if a slightly different neck angle is desired. I use a single bolt that goes through the neck block spruce. I will also be adding on a heel cap to the rim which will have two small anchoring bolts that will thread into the neck heel. Nice and simple neck joint = an easy to disassemble guitar

No comments:

Post a Comment