Monday, December 7, 2009

Vicky the Photonic Guitar

Today was a productive day in the Dagmar Shop. I faired the inside of the Queen's guitar and named her Vicky after Queen Victoria who chartered Queen's University.
She is almost ready for the Carbon Fiber laminations. I'm thinking about using a different combination of Carbon Fiber in the efforts to save weight and add strength in the direction of the grain. I'm flirting with the idea to use 5.5 oz twill for one layer and 11 oz unidirectional for the second. With all of my previous guitars I've used two layers of 11 oz unidirectional. Using 5.5 oz twill might save a couple of ozs - must do some research.
Hmmmm....

Vicky is made of the same Cooked Maple as Mary Lou W except I have used Bass wood for the glue surface vs using Cooked Maple. This will save weight and Bass wood is traditional kerf wood. I'd like to use Cooked Maple for the back with a Sitka Spruce top.

I'm also thinking about introducing a traditional F hole design. I'm still up in the air about that.

The theme of the guitar is to do a simple aesthetic. The inlay around the outside of the soundplates will be black white black black white black. The fret board will be just Ebony with white side dots, The peg Head will have Ebony veneers on both top and back with Waverly tuners that have Ebony buttons. I will be using X Bracing using Sitka Spruce. The neck heel will be made largely of Bass wood and the rest will be my usual Cooked Flame Maple and Carbon Fiber nine lamination design with a two way adjustable truss rod.

The tail piece will be the Dagmar standard one with an Iron hinge. I am still thinking about the inlay. Maybe the Queen's "Q" or a crown. Hmmmmm....

I'd like this blog to be interactive and encourage my followers to write or comment on what they would like to see. You can post a comment on the blog or drop me a line at rizoratzo@aol.com. I'd love to hear some feedback.

Lastly, I am considering doing a hand rubbed sunburst to give the guitar a true vintage vibe.

I know I promised pictures today but tonight was dinner at the inlaws - My inlaws cooked me up a birthday Duck and it was divine! Pictures tomorrow.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment