Thursday, December 10, 2009

Finalized Rim


This is the picture I meant to post showing the finished Bass wood rim. Notice the peninsula of extra wood at the neck area. This little jut out allows for more mass in the neck block - this will become more clear once I put the spruce in this area and rout the neck pocket. The next step from this point is to lay in the carbon fiber. Once that's done I start shaving off the extra wood to lighten the instrument. One of the themes of this project is to save weight. The rim, as pictured, tips the scales at 1 lbs 8 ozs. Looking back in my notes Vicky is a little over 7 ozs lighter than Mary Lou W was at this point in construction. I'm hoping that once the rim is completely finished it will remain at this weight. I'm going to predict that the complete guitar, strings and all, will be 5 lbs 9 ozs.

No comments:

Post a Comment