Monday, December 21, 2009

Think In Chunks


The neck block is set in in segments. This is the only way to do a nice tightly fitted job. It's a lot easier to scribe in one section at a time and then laminate them all together rather than attempting to fit in one solid block.

My guitars are like sculptures on the inside and the outside. Fairing concave surfaces and blending in these Spruce pieces is a lot of finicky work and I'm sure that other luthiers must think I'm nuts. I am nuts but this is my art and if you want wood to do the impossible you better expect a lot of good old fashioned honest labour. It does not come easy. Besides, easy is boring. You don't become a master without challenging yourself and taking your skill set to unexplored territory. I'm earning my stripes with every guitar I build.

One think I HATE hearing people say is "well...someones got a lot of time on their hands." A fellow luthier actually said this to me during my debut at the Montreal Guitar Show while raked his thumb extra hard along Ruthy's strings. I was hurt. Thinking about it...what was his point?

Yes, the guitars are a lot of work but I get an enormous amount of satisfaction from creating them. I can't imagine not putting this much effort into a boutique calibre guitar.

No comments:

Post a Comment