Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Keep the Faith


This little guy is my source of hope. Someone designed this bobble Octopussy, tooled up for it's mass production, packaged it and distributed it to stores that added it to their inventory and shelf space. Apparently you can get these in a rainbow of colours. Each tentacle is attached with a tiny spring and I estimate that there are 18 unique pieces that make up this display figure. Think about the manufacturing processes that it took to get the first run made. Think about the money and time. Overhead. There is a market for this thing large enough to justify it's existence. WOW!

Great day in the shop. Glued a AAA bookmatched set of Sitka together for the top. The billet of wood I bought was the lightest one of the bunch - not just by a little but by a noticeable amount. Nice tight grain and colour. I put my hand plane to the glue edges and achieved a perfectly straight line. The two halves clamped together evenly - no excessive clamp pressure should ever be used to force two pieces of wood together. Forcing wood together practically seals it's fate to split later in life.

My Carbon Fiber arrived today and I will be making the neck sleeve tomorrow along with doing the second layer of CF in the rim.

No comments:

Post a Comment