Wednesday, March 31, 2010

OAC GUITAR ENTRY 4


I am finished faring in the first layer of CF and I have laid down the second "show" layer of light weight CF twill.

The first layer is for 99% of the strength and stiffness needed. The unidirectional CF runs across the woods grain and will ensure that the rim can easily take on the downward force the strings put on to the bridge. The second layer is a light weight twill cloth. It adds a bit more strength to the structure and now there are CF strands running in the direction of the wood's grain - helping to strengthen the bonding of all 86 segments. I call it the Show layer because I can lay big areas down without having to overlap and I hide all the butt joints of the first layer.
Once smoothed out and finished it will look stunning. Also, with CF running in all directions the neck area will be extremely strong and stable.

The picture shows the rim held inside a simple cradle which makes this potentially messy job easier and cleaner. I try to be as neat as possible throughout the entire build - because it counts.

I sleep very well at night knowing that I have made absolutely no compromises in building these guitars. These are my babies and I put everything I got into them.

No comments:

Post a Comment